Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:10:05 +0300

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:36:16 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >> (Note: wrap-to-fill-column-mode justs adds add wrap-prefix here. Which
> >> is for some reason does not remove. Bug ;-( --
> >> wrap-to-fill-column-mode is of course part of nXhtml, but probably you
> >> can just add a fill prefix on the whole line that is equal to what the
> >> line indentation have.)
> >
> > wrap-to-fill-column-mode is complicated.  If you still see the problem
> > with the current trunk, please show a recipe that does not use
> > wrap-to-fill-column-mode, but instead sets the fill prefix and/or
> > whatever else is needed to reproduce this problem in "emacs -Q".
>
> I told that recipe when I mentioned wrap-to-fill-column-mode.

No, you told just part of it:

> >> wrap-to-fill-column-mode is of course part of nXhtml, but probably you
> >> can just add a fill prefix on the whole line that is equal to what the
> >> line indentation have.)

Can you please make this more explicit?  Please show what I need to
type in Emacs to accomplish what you say here.

> Unfortunately I can not test now for these reasons:

If you tell me how to define the fill prefix, I can test myself.

> I found it a bit disturbing if you just implemented another way. I
> can't say if it is right or wrong until I have seen your patch but
> from our discussion it looks to me like you at least before
> misunderstood the problem.

What I implemented came out of the sub-thread of this thread where I
explained to Stefan why I think it sometimes recenters, and Stefan
agreed that fixing that is a good idea.  See

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00766.html
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00773.html

for details.  In a nutshell, the problem I fixed was that Emacs didn't
look for point far enough beyond the end of the window.