Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Stuart Hacking
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:17:20 +0100

On 2 August 2010 11:58, Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Stuart Hacking writes:
>
>> To me, this sounds a lot like personal preference. I already have an
>> emacs-lisp file full of global and mode specific keybindings and
>> another with some convenience defaliases. These make sense for the way
>> I work, but I'm sure they would be completely inappropriate for
>> certain other users.
>
> Excellent.  The only "personal" thing I see about it is that you might
> have picked aliases based on personal preference.  But there is no
> reason why the concept of giving such aliases is personal.  That is a
> generally useful idea.

Then Emacs already provides this feature, right? If I don't like a
keybinding or command name I can modify/alias them. Furthermore, I can
do this only for a specific mode.

> So, I suppose you will let dired-mode do all its self-righteous key
> bindings and then use a hook to overwrite all of them with your own
> key bindings?  I think I am beginning to like this
> software-as-the-enemy principle!

Emacs has a set of default keybindings which can be modified to suit
the taste of the user. Where is the issue here? (Some software that I
use will not let me redefine key bindings at all.)

Is the solution to distribute a version of emacs with no keybindings set? :)

--Stuart