Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:54:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-08-14 13.20:
So the name x-select-enable-primary is really x-cut/copy-into-primary AFAIK.

Thanks, this clears up quite a bit of the confusion.  So would it be
correct to modify the doc string of x-select-enable-primary to say
this:

    Non-nil means cutting text sets the primary selection.
    When the value is nil, the primary selection is still set by
    selecting the text.

and change the NEWS entry to say this:

     In particular, kill and yank use the clipboard, while the primary
     selection is by default set as soon as text is selected, but not
     when text is killed.

?

I think shift selection and setting point and mark is different, i.e. the latter does not put text in PRIMARY. IMHO it should.

Maybe Emacs should use some internal notion of PRIMARY on those platforms
where it don't exist.  That way select and mouse-2 selects and insterts text
as on X.  But without touching the kill ring.

Why is it important not to touch the kill ring?

Not important at all, it is just (I think) how mouse-2 works now.

It seems to me that on platforms that have only one selection (the
clipboard), selecting text should do nothing by default, while cutting
should set the clipboard.  And there should be a variable to
optionally set the clipboard when the text is selected.  (Do we
already have such a variable?)  Do you agree?

Fine by me, as long as I can do select, mouse-2 to copy text on non-primary-enabled platforms. It still doesn't clear up what Gpm/Xterm mode should do on mouse-2.

        Jan D.