Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:33:31 +0100

On 14/08/10 23:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Does this mean I have no way of pasting from the primary selection
without using a mouse?

Yes, no way*, but x11 users don't generally expect to be able to.

* apart from the awkward keyboard mouse emulation, and actually some x11 apps provide separate "paste" and "paste selection" menu options, which may be accessible via keyboard menu access.

Why do we need a separate variable for the clipboard on w32? why not
reuse select-active-regions?

Why have the same setting do such grossly different things on different
platforms?

Because that makes users' life easier (less customizations when
switching platforms; can use the same .emacs without lots of
system-type conditionals, etc.).

Nonsense, it means MORE customisations with MORE system-type conditionals. I'd have to have different settings on w32 to prevent my clipboard being eaten suddenly when I select text. Not that I use w32
by choice.

Also, the emulated primary mechanism in emacs already worked intra-session on w32, it's only in an inter-session context it doesn't work.

I don't really care so much so long as x11 isn't broken, but the idea your way makes .emacs more portable rather than less is absurd.