Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:23:25 +0300

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:49:15 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I did already suggest reverting the rebinding of mouse-2 to
> mouse-yank-at-click, but then adding a mouse-yank-selection-only (or
> other name) customization to it so that its side-effect on the kill-ring
> could be removed.

But no one acted on that suggestion, so it sounds like it was silently
rejected.  Or maybe no one, including yourself, was interested in
fixing a Windows-only problem.

> Then that could just be turned off for w32, instead of mangling what was
> the straightforward single-purpose mouse-yank-primary.

Please don't call names perfectly correct code just because you
disagree with its idea.  Windows users were asking for the fix to this
bug for weeks now; it seems no one else was interested in fixing it
except your truly.  Since I did the work, I get to choose the tools
and the way of doing it, and I see nothing wrong with the idea I
implemented.  If anyone was interested in doing it some other way,
they had more than a month to beat me to it.

> That would also have the advantage of preserving compatibility with
> third-party packages and other call sites of mouse-yank-at-click,
> and mean switching between new and "classic" (ahem) emacs behaviour
> would just be a matter of boolean customizations instead of
> customisation (easy) and rebinding (hard).

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  Specific examples of
incompatibilities are welcome, as are bug reports about any such
problems.