annoyances [Was: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff]

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: annoyances [Was: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff]
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:38:19 +0100

On 8/15/2010 12:15 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:
When there are no changes, `C-x v D' does something annoying: it shrinks
the window showing the *vc-diff* buffer to three lines tall.  This makes
the window useless for displaying other buffers; you have to resize it
or delete it.

I find it annoying too, and I will be glad if it is gone.

While we are on the matter of annoyances, I am also quite annoyed by Emacs switching windows without a definitive reason.

For instance, `o' in a dired window switches to the other window. And, I have to switch back to dired in order to go and view another file.

C-x` in a diff window switches to the other window. And, I have to switch back to diff in order to even view the hunk in its entirety. (This problem might also be shared by all other uses of C-x`)

In general, I think that, whenever there is a listing in one window and stuff in another window, it is a good idea for Emacs to assume that both are important and avoid switching windows unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Uday