Re: annoyances

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: annoyances
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:06:57 +0200

Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8/15/2010 12:15 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> When there are no changes, `C-x v D' does something annoying: it shrinks
>> the window showing the *vc-diff* buffer to three lines tall.  This makes
>> the window useless for displaying other buffers; you have to resize it
>> or delete it.
>
> I find it annoying too, and I will be glad if it is gone.
>
> While we are on the matter of annoyances, I am also quite annoyed by
> Emacs switching windows without a definitive reason.
>
> For instance, `o' in a dired window switches to the other window.
> And, I have to switch back to dired in order to go and view another
> file.

Well, don't use `o' then.  Duh.  That's what C-o is for.

Unfortunately, C-o has the side effect of loading the file into a
buffer.  And the buffer then stays around.  It would be nice to have
dired record when a buffer only becomes populated by C-o and kill it
when the window gets deleted or reassociated without the buffer ever
becoming the current buffer.

`o' currently has the advantage that you can move back into dired using
C-x 4 0 (why doesn't C-x 4 k work?  That binding is quite more mnemonic)
and get rid of the buffer that way.

--
David Kastrup