Re: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:06:33 +0200

> Here's a possible implementation, which replaces even-window-heights
> with a new option `resize-windows-for-display'.  The value `fit' says to
> resize the displayed/popped windows.  What do you think?

How is this option supposed to interact with `temp-buffer-resize-mode'?
The latter, if enabled, will probably always override the option so such
interaction should be somehow described in the doc-string(s).

But I'm not quite sure whether using two similar approaches for the same
problem is a good idea in the first place.  I'd call functions like
`fit-window-to-buffer' and `shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer' only
internally.  The user interface should be provided by one mode or buffer
local variable which also makes sure that any window displaying such a
buffer gets adjusted when other windows or the frame change size.

> !       (let ((resize-windows-for-display nil))
> !  (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer)))

Here you explicitly override the user option - is that intentional?

martin