Re: Reading D-Bus messages

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Reading D-Bus messages
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:20:45 -0400

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:49:32 -0400
From: Ken Brown<address@hidden>
Cc: emacs-devel<address@hidden>

Do you understand why gobble_input is called only if SIGIO is defined?

Don't know. ChangeLog.1 says:

1986-01-23  Richard M. Stallman  (address@hidden)

              * dispnew.c (Fsit_for):
              Call gobble_input only if SIGIO exists.

1985-11-01  Richard M. Stallman  (address@hidden)

              * keyboard.c (gobble_input, input_available_signal,
                kbd_buffer_store_char):
                Make these functions exist only if SIGIO is defined.

1985-10-16  Richard M. Stallman  (address@hidden)

              * keyboard.c:
              Get error instead of croaking if want to send SIGTSTP.
              Get compile time error in gobble_input if SIGIO is not
              defined.

Well, I'll just try it for a while and see if I notice any problems as a
result of using gobble_input without SIGIO.  If not, I'll upload a new
Cygwin test release and see what happens.

I'd rather turn the table and ask why is the call to
xd_read_queued_messages made in gobble_input and not elsewhere?  Why
are we mixing input from D-Bus with keyboard input?  And why in
gobble_input?

Regardless of what decision is ultimately made about these questions, I'd still like to know why one (and only one) of the calls to gobble_input in keyboard.c is made only if SIGIO is defined. Is this something that was needed in 1985 and is no longer relevant?

Ken