Re: Reading D-Bus messages

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Reading D-Bus messages
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:38:39 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> I went ahead and added a more general file descriptor handling in
> process.c, where you can add a file descriptor for reading or writing
> and get a callback when I/O is possible.  I then modified dbusbind to
> use that so writes also are asynchronous.  If the recevier wasn't
> reading and Emacs writes a lot of DBus messages, a hang could occur
> (not that it is very likely, dbus isn't made for passing a lot of data
> around).
>
> So please try this version.

Thanks a lot, it works for me in both the X and non-X cases.

Just some minor remarks on your changes in dbusbind.c:

* dbus_fd_cb calls only xd_read_queued_messages. Couldn't both functions
  be merged? Or, since we have the file descriptor in the callback,
  shouldn't we call only xd_read_message for that socket?

* We assume that communication is socket base. This must not be true;
  see the comment in

<http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus/api/html/group__DBusConnection.html#gb9b8b4064fe2bc36f89f399f32979398>.
 If
  xd_find_watch_fd returns -1, we shall raise an error at least.

>       Jan D.

Best regards, Michael.