Re: Emacs core TLS support

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs core TLS support
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:53:48 +0200

I've now gotten the gnutls support to work.  There were two main
problems:

1) emacs_read would be called instead of emacs_gnutls_read on
initialising streams.  This made the gnutls libraries very confused, as
they would get some of the data, and other bits of the data would just
be output to the process buffer.

2) 25K iterations while waiting for the handshake was just too short.
I increased it ten-fold, and now it Works For Me, but that area needs
more work to determine when to time out.  Instead of looping like that,
I think it would make more sense to move it into the accept_process_data
C layer, and re-run the handshake when there's actually more data
available on the socket.  That is, emacs_gnutls_read should do the
handshake, basically.

But I've now committed what I've done, since it's actually usable now,
and it's really fast!  It takes like a fraction of the time that tls.el
uses, what with the gnutls-cli forking and stuff.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen