Re: building error of latest emacs on Windowxp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: building error of latest emacs on Windowxp
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:56:29 +0200

> From: zwz <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:22:25 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: zwz <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:42:24 +0800
> >>
> >> I create a new nt/test.bat with the portion of the script.
> >> The output suggests that the logic jumps to doCopy
> >> after running to "if errorlevel 1 goto doCopy".
> >
> > Thanks.  So if you now re-run configure.bat a second time, does the
> > problem go away?  That is, are you able to run "make" cleanly after
> > re-running configure.bat?
> No. The same error.
> The src/config.h seems not updated at all.
> I guess there may be no config.tmp during configure.

How can that happen?  The following lines from configure.bat
unconditionally create it from config.nt and add 2 lines to it:

    copy config.nt config.tmp
    echo. >>config.tmp
    echo /* Start of settings from configure.bat.  */ >>config.tmp

And even if config.tmp were indeed missing, the `fc' command that is
run by configure.bat, viz.:

    fc /b config.tmp ..\src\config.h >nul 2>&1
    if errorlevel 1 goto doCopy

should have forced the branch to doCopy, because `fc' exits with
status of 2 if one of its file arguments does not exist.  Then the
copy command:

    :doCopy
    copy config.tmp ..\src\config.h

should have complained like this:

if config.tmp did not exist.  Do you see such an error message when
configure.bat runs?

Hmm... I think I see the problem.  The second line of this
fragment:

    fc /b paths.h ..\src\epaths.h >nul 2>&1
    if errorlevel 0 goto dontCopy

should say instead