Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:21:43 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:46:02 -0500
>
>     bzr merge -r A
>     bzr merge --force -r A..B
>
> While I do expect the two to behave differently w.r.t conflicts (or in
> the case where A>B, say), I think the fact that the second does not
> register the revisions from A to B in the "pending merges" data seems
> like a bug to me.

You are cherry-picking here; cherry-picking is explicitly not tracked
in the history DAG.  Why is that a problem, in the context of this
discussion (merging from a release branch to the trunk)?

> And the fact that
>
>     bzr merge -r A
>     bzr merge --force -r B
>
> applies the A changes twice is another bug.

I think this is again because cherry-picking is not tracked, so bzr
doesn't "know" A is already there.  In a nutshell, when you
cherry-pick, you need to do your own bookkeeping.