Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:13:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > AFAIU, "-r A" is just a shorthand for "-r A..-1".  If A is an
>> > arbitrary revision on the branch being merged, you just cherry-pick
>> > all the revisions from A to the branch tip.
>>
>> From "bzr help merge":
>>
>> > To merge changes up to and including revision 82 from bzr.dev:
>> >
>> >        bzr merge -r 82 ../bzr.dev
>>
>> So it doesn't mean "from A", but "up to and including A".
>
> Okay, but it's still cherry-picking of a certain range of revisions,
> right?

Nope. It searches the common ancestor and merges from there to A. That's
a real VC history merge, i.e. one that preserves commit identity.

The last phrase is crucial. If you cherry-picked some commit on that
range, bzr does not remember it and it will be merged again, this time
preserving its revision id.

(I don't know what happens if A was already merged (not cherry-picked))