Re: vc-update for bzr etc.

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: vc-update for bzr etc.
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:08:25 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> So the full functionality for Bzr should be something like this:
>>  - If it's a bound branch, do bzr update.
>>  - Otherwise, if there is a default pull location, prompt for a location
>>    and do "bzr merge --pull".
>>  - Otherwise, just do "bzr merge --pull" to use the default location.
>> Does this sound right?
>
> If it's not bound, it should just use "bzr pull" without prompting
> the user, IMO.

The "bzr pull" operation only works if the branches have not diverged.
If the vc pull operation corresponds to "bzr pull", then what would it
do in git?  IIUC, git pulls perform merging automatically, so if vc-pull
does "bzr pull" in bzr and "git pull" in git, it would be doing two
different things.

That's why I thought the closest common denominator would be to use
bzr's "merge --pull".