Re: vc-update for bzr etc.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: vc-update for bzr etc.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:40:12 +0100

() "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
() Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:31:23 +0900

   bzr pull -- synchronize branch to parent exactly, never does a
               non-trivial merge, sometimes operates on a non-local
               branch and not on the workspace IIRC.
   git pull -- merges branch into workspace, commits unless conflict,
               never affects a branch outside of the workspace.
   hg pull  -- fetches branch, never updates workspace or affects a
               branch outside of the workspace.

   I don't see the point of having a single command whose implementation
   can vary so randomly.  That's not a uniform UI, that's a
   nondeterministic one.

   I agree that perfectly uniform semantics is not really possible, of
   course.

Looks like the sub-operations are:

 (0) determine "news"
 (1) download "news" (to some temporary space)
 (2) merge (conditionally, looping for conflict resolution, etc)
 (3) commit

Can these DVCSes do such sub-operations *individually* somehow?
Step (3) is given, but the others?