Re: Elisp implementation of list-processes (and: Why is list-processes i

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp implementation of list-processes (and: Why is list-processes implemented in C?)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:06:38 -0500

> A nearly complete Elisp implementation of Flist_processes is included
> below; feedback welcome.

So we now have 2 implementations candidates. :-(

> It should produce the identical output (except
> for using buttons for buffer names), though I haven't tested it on the
> more exotic kinds of processes.  The only thing I couldn't do was the
> following snippet from the very end:

>       if (exited)
>         {
>           status_notify (NULL);
>           redisplay_preserve_echo_area (13);
>         }

Leo had a similar problem.  I don't have time to dig into it right now,
but I suspect that this part of the behavior can be dropped.  If not,
maybe something like (sit-for 0) will do the trick.

>    The only other question is:  Where should it go?  It is called from
> save-buffers-kill-emacs in files.el (the only other use is in
> lisp/eshell/esh-proc.el), but files.el is already pretty crowded.  On
> the other hand, autoloading it for something so basic might be
> problematic.  Suggestions?

It should probably go into subr.el.  Yes, it's a large file, but that's
not really a problem.  The only real problem with it is that this file
can't use CL macros (because CL macros use functions defined in
subr.el).

        Stefan "who hasn't had time to look at either implementation"