Re: exec-path and PATH

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: exec-path and PATH
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:04:51 -0600

Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> However, now I wonder why we have a facility like exec-path at
>>> all. Wouldn't the process-environment's PATH be enough?
>> Because working with a list is much easier than with a single string?
>
> That would argue for making "exec-path" a sort of magical variable --
> one whose value changes all by itself, whenever the PATH environment
> variable changes.  Would that be feasible?

Or rather replace the exec-path variable with an exec-path function,
along the lines of

  (defun exec-path ()
    (split-string (getenv "PATH") ":"))

I have seen the existence of both exec-path and PATH (two separate
variables for one single concept) serve as a stumbling block for a
number of new Emacs users.