Re: Avoid recentering when user says so

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Avoid recentering when user says so
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:52:46 +0200

> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:48:35 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> Following the latest discussions in that bug report, I came up with a
> way to solve this problem without incurring unduly slow movement far
> away in the buffer.  The patch below seems to give good results

Btw, in the discussions related to bug #6671, some people said that
Emacs should pay attention to the value of another variable,
scroll-preserve-screen-position, when Emacs decides where to put point
after moving it to a far away location.

I would like to point out that this option has nothing to do with the
issue at hand, although its name might suggest that it does.  This
option is only examined by the scroll-up and scroll-down commands,
which are just one way of scrolling.  No other command ever looks at
this option.  (Documentation seem to suggest that any command that has
non-nil scroll-command property will also behave according to this
option, but unless I'm missing something, I cannot see how that could
be true.)

Therefore, the patch I proposed does not consult this option at all.