Re: Avoid recentering when user says so

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Avoid recentering when user says so
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 04:58:11 +0200

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 20:52, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Btw, in the discussions related to bug #6671, some people said that
> Emacs should pay attention to the value of another variable,
> scroll-preserve-screen-position, when Emacs decides where to put point
> after moving it to a far away location.

He, not exactly ;-)

Chong asked if the unwanted recentering affected other scrolling
commands, and I said that scroll-(up|down)-command do preserve the
screen position and don't do any recentering.

I think the documentation makes reasonably clear that
`scroll-preserve-screen-position' is not defined for non-scrolling
movements (like goto-line), and as per line-by-line scrolling
(assuming you've got track-eol == t) you can already combine
pgup/pgdown and up/down and get the cursor back to the same screen
position, so it's well defined and well-behaved. It's true that
(next|previous)-line do not really obey
scroll-preserve-screen-position, but as they try to move vertically
and are smart with respect to end of line (with track-eol), the net
effect is the same.

    Juanma