Re: Binding M-n and M-p to forward-paragraphandbackward-paragraphrespect

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Binding M-n and M-p to forward-paragraphandbackward-paragraphrespectively
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:30:23 +0100

On 07/04/11 21:31, Antoine Levitt wrote:

I've got this bound globally as well. It just makes sense with the
global idea that C- is for atomic movements, and M- for group
movement.

Er. In this particular case, M-{ and M-} are already conveniently bound to the movement by paragraph functions (and C-up/C-down...), anyway, aren't they? Certain non-us keyboard layouts make '{' and '}' harder to type I suppose, but do we really need a third pair of bindings for the same damn actions? Hell, I tend to think of the C-up/C-down one as less than useful, but I expect I edit bulk natural language text in emacs a lot less than some users.

But in the global keymap, and in  many modes, M-n and M-p are free.

They're seldom free in modes I use. They're usually some mode-appropriate next/previous action, like the history in various common repls and M-x, next/prev note in slime-compiler-output annotated lisp buffers...

It might make a little sense for them to be a[nother] next/previous paragraph in text-mode specifically under that vague "mode appropriate next/previous" theory, but global? It just seems unnecessary, and might even discourage any present informal "mode-appropriate next/previous" binding tendency.