Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:18:42 -0500

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:42:28 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
wrote:

SJT> Ted Zlatanov writes:

>> We could enforce the rule that you're only allowed to recommend other
>> packages that live within the same ELPA or something even more carefully
>> controlled (a fsf-kevin-bacon-number equal or greater than the current
>> one, if you know what I mean).

SJT> You can't (and shouldn't try to) enforce anything.

Within GNU Emacs and the GNU ELPA, many things can (and are) enforced.
Obviously I'm not speaking about things outside that sphere.

SJT> If somebody finds the restrictions onerous, they'll fork the
SJT> package library (or all of Emacs, whichever seems more convenient
SJT> at the time).  If others find the restrictions onerous, they'll
SJT> install the forked version.  That's what free software means.

That's even more bizarre, defining free software by someone's actions.

SJT> Eventually there will be a "google this package and install it for me"
SJT> functionality.  I think a better way to go is to add a way to filter
SJT> on that functionality such that the user can white- or blacklist
SJT> certain URLs, and the package manager will query for URLs not matched
SJT> by either list.  Default the whitelist to (<GNU ELPA>) and the
SJT> blacklist to t (ie, everything not in the whitelist).

This is what package.el does, minus the Google dependency and using
symbolic package names instead of URLs.  The user just adds whatever
archive URLs he likes to the list.

Ted