Re: Confusing "bzr log" as result of merges

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confusing "bzr log" as result of merges
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 19:48:47 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 18:21:57 +0200
>
> Create a branch emacs-common and commit there all the changes intended
> for emacs-23 and trunk.

Given that the trunk and the branch diverge quite quickly, I don't
think what you suggest is practical.  The divergence is in the basic
infrastructure, such as access to global variables and members of
buffer and keyboard objects.  That makes such a common branch
problematic, as it is not clear which one of the diverging branches it
should follow, and how to be sure that all 3 branches "work".

> From time to time *merge* (not cherry-pick!)  emacs-common into
> emacs-23 and trunk.

We merge already, but then reverse cherry-pick those revisions that
are not intended for the trunk, before committing.  At least this is
my understanding of how merges from the branch work.

> Long time ago I advised against mixing cherry-picks and merges and
> suggested this strategy, but was discarded because it is too
> complex. I'm sure that as time passes and you get bitten again and again
> by the current practice it will finally look extremely simple.

Since no one is even bothered by these issues, I very much doubt that
anything will be done any time soon.