Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 20:10:13 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:37:41 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Btw, did anyone fix Gnus summary, to display the line count correctly
> > when the Subject is using an R2L script?  It was reported a day or two
> > ago here, and I said that the LRM character (possibly invisible)
> > should be inserted right after the subject to fix that.
>
> If people cut and paste summary lines, won't the LRM character then be
> included in what they cut and paste?

Not by default: invisible is in yank-excluded-properties, so the LRM
character will become visible after yanking.

> It's just my gut reaction, but inserting invisible characters into
> buffers seems like a non-optimal design to me...

Then don't make it invisible, it displays by default as a very thin
space character.  You can see that in action in the HELLO file, on the
Arabic and Hebrew lines.

> Could possibly the LRM control instead be done with text properties or
> the like?

No, and doing that is a very bad idea.  For starters, it means that if
you send such a copy/pasted text to someone else through email, they
will see the text differently than you did.  Using LRM is the only
idea that works well and without complications with plain text.