Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:59:14 +0200

> 2. Are you sure that the ability to specify FUNCTION in the cons was added
> later?

I looked again.  It was added later but already in 1994 by Per Abrahamsen.

        * frame.el (special-display-popup-frame): Rename new arg to ARGS.
        Allow (FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...) as the value of ARGS.

The same-window and the same-frame features were added in 2001.

> 3. FWIW, I'm using Emacs 20.7 right now, in a Windows build from 2000 (long
> before 2003, but admittedly after the 1990s).  The doc string of
> `special-display-buffer-names' specifically mentions the form (BUFFER FUNCTION
> OTHER-ARGS...).

You're right.  At that time this feature existed already.

> In particular, I need a way to redirect the *Completions* input focus to the
> standalone minibuffer.

It would be interesting to make this work when displaying a buffer in
another frame and _not_ wanting to direct focus to that frame as in
`display-buffer-other-frame'.  Somehow the application would have to be
able to tell `display-buffer' which frame shall be focused and/or shown
in the foreground instead.  If at least a few platforms can handle that,
obviously.

martin