Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: grischka
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:33:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
But I do use an unlimited number of windows (and frames), so I really
want to cater to such users as well ;-)

"As well" I suppose means that in next release

    emacs -Q RET C-x 3 M-x y TAB

will finally open the *completions* in a 3rd full width bottom
window also for everyone, possibly instructed by a nice default
entry in the new 'display-buffer-alist'?

  (setq window-parameter-list '(
     (window-1 (spec . val) ....)
     (window-2 (spec . val) ....)
     (window-3 (spec . val) ....)
     ))
You could write it as:

   (defun my-window-1 (buf) (foo1 buf (spec . val) ...)))
   (defun my-window-2 (buf) (foo2 buf (spec . val) ...)))
   (defun my-window-3 (buf) (foo3 buf (spec . val) ...)))

Well, since you care for usage beyond the limits:  Imagine
something wants to display window-3.  But there is not enough
space, so window-1 would be deleted.  Now you want that window-1
is not deleted but pushed to another frame instead.  No problem
with a common window-parameter-list,  but impossible with your
separate foo1/2/3 functions.

--- grischka