Re: Windows' "split status"

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:36:11 +0800

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

> Initially I didn't store that value.  But binding `window-splits' to
> non-nil can be useful when you want to show with one command many
> buffers on the same frame like in `Buffer-menu-select'.

It might be useful for arranging windows when they are initially
created, for the purpose of distributing them with equal heights/widths.
But it's a bit unexpected for that to "stick around" and affect
subsequent window resizing/deletion commands.  If the user wants that,
she should just set the variable.

> If you think it's not useful, I can easily restore the older version
> where I just look at the value of `window-splits'
> (`Buffer-menu-select' could use `balance-windows' as well).

Just using the value of `window-splits' would be better, yes.  Thanks.

(If in the future it turns out that we need this feature for something,
it would probably be better to reimplement it as a window parameter; I
don't think we need a special slot for it.)