Re: How come emacsclient --create-frame doesn't understand -geometry?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: How come emacsclient --create-frame doesn't understand -geometry?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:31:01 +0100

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:48:53 -0500, Glenn wrote:

> The literal answer to the question wasn't very interesting.

[...Q1/A1 snipped...]

> Q2: Why doesn't emacsclient have a --geometry option?

> A2: Because no-one has written one.

That was what I was trying to ask.

I'm not a native English speaker, I do think that is the most obvious
answer to the question "How come emacsclient --create-frame doesn't
understand -geometry?" is to explain why it doesn't.

_If_ there was a reason (technical, design decision, or what have you)
the answer would have been an explanation of why. If there isn't, it
might make sense to think about taking a crack at whipping one up.

> Q3: How do I control the size and position of a frame created by
> emacsclient?

> A3: Use the --frame-parameters option.

> I thought question 3 was the only non-trivial one.

It doesn't answer the question of whether it makes sense to spend time
implementing -geometry or not, which depends on why it doesn't support
it already, at least in my - perhaps twisted - mind.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "In his words, Emacs is elegant, UNIX arcane."               Adam Sjøgren
                                                         address@hidden