Re: Memory again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:00:05 +0200

> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:31:10 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> If you start a fresh Emacs and visit a very large file, do you see the
> footprint increase by approximately that file's size?  And if you then
> kill the buffer visiting the file, do you see the footprint go down
> back to almost what it was after startup?

I should amend that: depending on what packages are loaded when the
file is first time visited, you may need to do this visit-then-kill
routine a couple of times, before you see the result I'd expect: that
the footprint goes up by about the size of the file, then goes back
down to what it was before.

The first time you visit the file, you may see memory increase due to