Re: Memory again

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:37:18 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:53:44 +0100
>> From: Carsten Mattner <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Anything inefficent, wrong or dangerous?
>
> No inefficiency can explain a memory leak.

Of course not, I'm just asking for enhancements/cleanups
of my Ido settings. Especially as you seem to think that the
second results - which were without Ido - are more in line
of expected memory usage.

> The number of conses seems to go up, but I'm not sure whether it's
> normal or not, especially since the growth seems relatively small.
> Maybe doing the same many more times will tell.  Also, putting a
> breakpoint in Fcons and Flist and looking at the cons cells we
> allocate could give some hint.
>
> Another way would be to try using some other mode, not erlang or ido,
> and see if the memory grows similarly.

Sure, I can also use basic Text mode for testing just to see.
It seems that

> Of course, these are all stabs in the dark.  I don't really know
> what's going on there, just throwing some random thoughts.  Caveat
> emptor.

If you can whip up some quick elisp to automate what you're interested
in collecting, which I doubt with me having to do some actions, call
garbage-collect, do some more, gc again..., I can run that.

Now let me do some non erlang-mode tests.