Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Mac OS-compatible ports
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:13:38 +0900

On 2012/01/02, at 0:31, Adrian Robert wrote:

> One aspect which I don't remember the status of is multi-TTY.  I
> remember at one point the Mac port wasn't working with it.  Is
> that still the case?  If so is it a design issue relating to the
> event loop approach or something that could be fixed?

The reason why the Mac port doesn't support multi-tty with
GUI (TTY-only multi-tty is supposed to work) is there's no way to
detach Emacs as a GUI application from Window Server or Dock
without terminating the GUI process, as far as I know.  IIRC the
W32 port doesn't support multi-tty with GUI.  Maybe for simlar
reason?

One way to solve this cleanly is to seperate GUI process from
Lisp process.  It might be a future direction, but I don't think
it's something I should do now for the port of Emacs 23.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden