Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Mac OS-compatible ports
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:04:55 +0900

On 2012/01/02, at 6:18, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:

> I think it really would be a shame to break emacs GNUstep compat, especially
> as it's clear from the above the GNUstep project is making strong efforts to
> keep up with apple's modernisations (whatever your opinion of apple as a
> company, purely technically I think most people would agree objc2 blocks etc.
> are a really good thing for objc...). Though maybe there could be greater
> separation in the code paths in emacs, say separate 'gnustep and 'macosx
> window systems rather than a unified 'ns, despite the seemingly large overlap.

If GNUstep is going to such a direction that it adopts C APIs
that are supported by both Mac OS X and iOS (e.g., Core
Foundation, Core Graphics, Core Text and Image I/O), then many
parts of the code of the Mac port will become usable also in
GNUstep.  As a result of transition to 64-bit and Cocoa GUI, many
uses of C APIs in the Mac port already fall into this category.

Of course, there will remain some Mac OS X-specific parts, and as
it is shown by the current NS port status, practice will not
always work as in theory.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden