Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 05:02:45 +0100

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 04:18, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's the difference?

We have offered the tools and we're leaving the issue in the hands of the users.

> Granted, that's a considerable side-effect. I've looked at the release
> history for GnuTLS and there are lots of them. I don't how many contain
> fixes for serious bugs, though.

If we start distributing GnuTLS binaries, it's suddenly our (=
"someone's") work to know when a release fixes serious bugs and when
it does not.

> Directly or indirectly, almost all of them, I would say.

Yes, it's already clear that's your opinion. Another way of seeing it
is, we haven't seen many security reports because the users have not
had many security incidents.

> AFAIK Emacs can use GnuTLS for talking to the outside world too. SMTP,
> for instance. There are ISPs (like the one I use) that offer both
> encrypted and plain login on their mail servers.

Of course. And then we're back to square one. Does anyone know how
many people *on Windows* uses Emacs to connect to the wide, wild
world? How many of them read e-mail from Emacs, for example? I don't
(I very much doubt there's any reliable statistics), and if I had to
bet, I'd bet on the side of few.

    Juanma