Re: Periodical releases

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Periodical releases
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:11:06 +0800

On 2012-01-05 17:31 +0800, Bastien wrote:
> 2) I will probably release Org 8.0 before the end of the feature freeze
>    (say march or april).  Not having it in Emacs 24.1 is not such a big
>    deal, agreed, but it creates a situation where people often install
>    Org on top of the one that comes with Emacs, which doesn't feel
>    optimal and leads to many questions, because of conflicting installs.
>
> Both are separate, and I can try to take care of (1) myself.

I think in future it may be desirable to make more use of the packaging
system now that we have one. It is like many of those GNU/Linux
distributions. The core developers/maintainers are concerned with the
core packages/functionality (it is better use of their time since they
usually have better insight of the project) and the rest can be taken
care by community members. For example the value of including org-mode
in the source tree is quite little. If it is distributed with the
packing system people can receive more timely bug fixes free of any
constraint of the release cycle.

Leo