Re: Update on the Emacs release schedule?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Update on the Emacs release schedule?
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 08:54:47 -0500

>>> For the record, I use a --without-gnutls Emacs while also not
>>> using Gnus, and am part of the users seeing the "leaks".
>> AFAIK you're not seeing leaks, but only excessive memory use (and
>> failure to return memory to the system early enough for your taste),
> Maybe :). How do we define "early enough"? Hours or days?

Never.  It's still not necessarily a leak.
A leak is when memory is lost and can never be reused again (short of
restarting Emacs).  Whereas IIUC your case is a situation where the
memory is not lost: it will never be returned to the OS but it will be
reused by Emacs itself if/when the occasion shows up.

A leak manifests itself by a memory footprint that keeps on growing
indefinitely even when the usage pattern does not justify any
such increase.

        Stefan