Re: `report-emacs-bug' prompting rework

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: `report-emacs-bug' prompting rework
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:52:19 +0800

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:57:02 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> LI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Ping?  Anyone interested in getting this going?
>
> LI> The main objection last time was that someone would have to maintain the
> LI> HTTP submitting interface somewhere on gnu.org, and nobody seemed
> LI> particularly thrilled by that task...
>
> I said I'll write and maintain the... thingy.  It should be hosted on
> FSF machines, though.  I don't want my servers to be a critical part of
> the GNU Emacs project :)
>
> It needs a machine with a web server that can do PHP, some kind of
> persistence layer (MySQL, SQLite, etc.), and working outbound mail
> service to the bugs mailing list.
>
> I could use the GNU ELPA server, where I already have access.

Please don't use the GNU ELPA server for this.

If you want to experiment, I suggest using your own server to begin
with; if we eventually decide to go this route (and I'm not committing
to anything), it is easy enough to migrate.

Note also that any revamp of the bug reporting system must be post-24.1.