Re: Release tags

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Release tags
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 05:49:24 +0200

> Óscar Fuentes writes:
>
>  > If you know the revision that corresponds to the emacs-24.2 tag
>  > upstream, why don't you tag your private branch yourself?
>
> Because he doesn't have that revision to tag.  If he did, he'd have
> the tag, too.

No, he says that he has an up-to-date checkout of `trunk', which
necessarily contains the revision tagged as `emacs-24.2', because it was
merged into `trunk' almost 2 weeks ago. He also mentions that he knows
the revision number of the merge. His problem is that the tag (not the
revision) is missing from his private repo.

>  So he would need to branch emacs-24.2, and he doesn't
> want to do that (I'm not sure why, so I asked, we'll see what he
> says).

Dealing with multiple branches on bzr is a bit of an inconvenience, for
several reasons. One of them is mentioned by the OP: you end having
multiple working copies around, or having to learn and remember tricks
for reusing the same working copy. As the OP plans to use the emacs-24.2
stable point only in the rare cases when `trunk' is in a unusable state,
his reluctance is understandable.