Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:29:35 -0700

On 09/24/2012 08:55 AM, Steinar Bang wrote:
> Can you get a backtrace even if the core is from an executable that was
> compiled without debug information?

Yes.  Debug info doesn't affect the backtrace.

It's more useful, though, to get a backtrace from an executable
built with debug information, just as it's more useful to get
a core dump that way.  One *can* analyze either one without the
debug information, but it's no picnic.

On 09/24/2012 07:27 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> "let's just spew out reams of nearly meaningless data to the terminal"

It's normally just ten lines, maybe 300 bytes total.  It's more than
that (500 lines) only if you build emacs with --enable-checking and then
an assertion fails, under the assumption that people who are debugging
prefer to have more debug info.  In practice these numbers worked OK
for my use cases; we can change them as further experience suggests.