Re: Crash caused by insert-file-contents, both trunk (bzr 111532) and 24

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Crash caused by insert-file-contents, both trunk (bzr 111532) and 24.2.92 affected
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:03:33 +0200

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:26:08 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> ./src/emacs -Q
> M-x eval-expression RET (insert-file-contents "/dev/sda")
>
> (assuming /dev/sda is a readable block device).

I get "Permission denied" on the block devices that I can find on
machines to which I have access.

But even if that wasn't so, there's no reason to assume that the same
data will be found on every hard disk everywhere in the world.

If you fetch the first 1KB from that device (using dd or whatever) to
a regular file, and do the same with that file, does the crash still
happen?  If so, please post that file.

> #6  0x00000000004ce56f in char_table_ref (table=..., address@hidden) at
> /home/dima/work/stuff/emacs/trunk/src/chartab.c:234
This preposterous value is the immediate cause of the crash.  But the
question is: how did we came to that value, thinking it's a
characters.  Usually, this is the result of interpreting unibyte data
as multibyte.  We need to establish how did that happen in this case.