RE: Should ending successful Isearch with C-g restore the relative windo

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Should ending successful Isearch with C-g restore the relative window position?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:58:40 -0800

> The non-default behavior, triggered by customizing some of the
> scroll-* variables, can put point on the first or the last window line
> (depending on the direction of movement), or make sure point is never
> too close to the window edge.  But that's about all.  Emacs was never
> programmed to predictably return to the same place on the screen (and
> it isn't easy, either, due to variable fonts).

Thanks for the explanation.  So it sounds like this is not an enhancement we can
expect anytime soon.

To be clear - for me at least, getting back to something closer to where I was
before searching (window position included) would be an improvement, even if it
were not 100% perfect because of variable-width fonts.  (I don't use
variable-width fonts that much anyway, personally.)