Re: read_char() does not detect, handle special-event-map buffer changes

From: Derek Upham
Subject: Re: read_char() does not detect, handle special-event-map buffer changes
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:33:38 -0800

Here's a small repro case for the problem.  Start up two instances of
Emacs, and load this file into both.  In the first, run
`bad-keymap-startup-server'.  In the second, run `bad-keymap-send-signal',
and immediately switch back to the first Emacs.

The first Emacs will switch to a "*foo*" buffer with some dummy text.
That buffer will be in view mode.  If you hit `q' after the buffer pops
up, Emacs will complain about "*foo*" being read-only.  Hit `q' again and
the buffer disappears.

Kill the "*foo*" buffer and run the test again.  This time, instead of
hitting `q', use `C-n' to move down a line.  After that, when you hit
`q' you exit view mode immediately.

In the original code, I had theorized that the event was going to the
read-only temporary buffer, which had no binding for `q'.  But if that
were the case, we would see different behavior when the "old" buffer is
the writable "bad-keymap.el".  The "*foo*" buffer is getting the `q'
event, but it looks like read_char() has not started using the buffer's
new `view-mode' keymap, due to the way we are jumping to "retry:".  The
proposed fix to exit read_char() after every special event gives the I/O
system a chance to see the new keymap.

Derek

------------------------- bad-keymap.el -------------------------

(require 'dbus)

(defun bad-keymap-switch-handler ()
  (let* ((buf (get-buffer-create "*foo*")))
    (with-current-buffer buf
      (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
        (erase-buffer)
        (insert "foo foo foo\n")
        (switch-to-buffer buf)
        (goto-char (point-min)))
      (view-mode))))

(defun bad-keymap-startup-server ()
  (interactive)
  (dbus-register-signal :session "bad-keymap" "/bad/keymap" "bad.keymap"
                        "Switch" 'bad-keymap-switch-handler))

(defun bad-keymap-send-signal ()
  (interactive)
  (sit-for 5)
  (dbus-send-signal :session "bad-keymap" "/bad/keymap" "bad.keymap"
                    "Switch"))

--
Derek Upham
address@hidden