Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:35:06 -0800

On 02/21/13 09:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm guessing he just looked at the warning/error
> messages emitted by the new makeinfo and fixed whatever they told
> needed fixing.

That's pretty much it.  Mostly, Texinfo 5.0 is pickier about making sure
that subsections line up with the corresponding menus, which is
a good thing.

There's one remaining incompatibility between the Emacs trunk and
Texinfo 5.0, having to do with a macro in the TRAMP User Manual,
which I haven't fixed.  I recently filed a Texinfo bug report for that
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2013-02/msg00061.html>
with no response yet.

By the way, Texinfo 5.0 is *way* slower, so you probably don't want
to upgrade Texinfo unless you've got a fast machine.  On my last-year's
desktop (AMD Phenom II X4 910e) it takes over 3 minutes of CPU time
to make Emacs's info files.  See the thread starting at
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2013-02/msg00049.html>.