Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas

From: Jérémie Courrèges-Ang las
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:39:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas)
>> Cc: Aurélien Aptel <address@hidden>,
>>         address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:16:17 +0200
>>
>> I'm probably not knowledgeable enough about this subject, but... is it
>> really easier to get this (raw dlopening) right?  If my Emacs build
>> dlopens gnutls with a major 39, and a few days later my system gets
>> a 40th gnutls major version because of ABI change, then I will run into
>> problems.  And I can't count on my package tools dependancy system to
>> notice the ABI change, unless I artificially encode the dependancy on
>> gnutls or take care to bump my Emacs package to force a rebuild.
>>
>> Perhaps are there workarounds or methods to implement this safely in
>> Emacs, but I fear that it would make life harder for some users and
>> packagers.
>
> Emacs already has a solution for all this, in the MS-Windows build
> (which already loads these libraries dynamically).  So what's needed
> is to use the same arrangement on other platforms, which currently
> link statically against these libraries.

I think you meant "link dynamically", not "statically".

> In  nutshell, the version against which Emacs was compiled is recorded
> at build time, and then tested against the library at load time.

I trust you that there must have good reasons to do this on "windows",
but I fail to see the bonus on Unix-like distros out there that have
proper package / library / dependancies management.  Startup time?  Not
failing at startup if a shared lib that we linked against isn't present
anymore?

I'm a bit late at this discussion, so please forgive me if this has
already been discussed.

Aurélien: I trimmed you from the CC list since gmail doesn't seem to
like my ipvsh^Wipv6 prefix...
--
Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas
PGP Key fingerprint: 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494