Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:34:39 -0400

> - Modules & FFI
> I'm interested in adding a way to load compiled modules dynamically
> and possibly add a FFI.

That would be great.

> I say possibly because the more I look into into the more I realize
> it's not really helpful for complex stuff and simple stuff are easy to
> do with a module.

Things like libxml2 and libgnutls should use such a mechanism instead of
the one they use currently.

> - Support for library <FOO>
> By support I mean expose the lib API to Emacs Lisp. I don't know which
> lib could be added but I'm sure people here could make
> some suggestions.

Adding support for other libraries is problematic currently, so I'd
rather try and avoid it until we have something like an FFI, so that we
can add libraries without having to recompile Emacs.

        Stefan