Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 21:15:16 +0200

>         [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
>         [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
>         [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
>
>     Years ago, I had a real problem remembering M-x ielm. Because I only used
>     this command occasionally, I was never able to remember it.
>
> I never remember ielm, and when I see that name, I have no idea what
> it does.  I recall I looked it up once, perhaps a year ago, but
> nothing stuck.  I had to look it up again now.
>
> `ielm' might be a good file name prefix, if this had multiple files.
> A prefix needs to be short.  But the package should have a natural
> name for users.

Let's just have a configuration module that let map user interface
commands to the selected package.

M-x mail --> vm, gnus, mew, or whatever.
M-x news --> gnus or something else.
M-x web --> w3m, www, eww or whatever.
M-x elisp -> ielm or *scratch*

> One thing I don't understand is why this is better than the *scratch*
> buffer and Lisp Interaction Mode.  What are the advantages of ielm?
> Should the *scratch* buffer be implemented by ielm?  Or would that
> have some drawback?

It's not the same kind of interaction.  ielm simulates an "interactive"
REPL, like other lisps or shells.  Even slime has both kinds of
interactions available, the *scratch* like, and the repl one.

Also, compare the results:

(+ 1 2) C-u C-x C-e (+ 3 4) C-u C-x C-e (or perhaps with C-j) in *scratch*
displays:

    (+ 1 2)3 (#o3, #x3, ?\C-c) (+ 3 4)7

(+ 1 2)RET(+ 3 4)RET  in *ielm* displays:

    ELISP> (+ 1 2)
    3
    ELISP> (+ 3 4)
    7
    ELISP>

You know you've been lisping too long when you see a recent picture of George
Lucas and think "Wait, I thought John McCarthy was dead!" -- Dalek_Baldwin