Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 11:07:49 +0200

> OK, but isn't one difference that fullscreen does not include borders
> (including title bar)?  That is what I see here: no borders.

If you maximize another application on your system, do you see any
borders?  I don't here.

> I thought
> that fullscreen might also mean that, like maximized, you cannot move the
> frame (it is "pinned" to the screen).

Yes.  But sending the window manager an explicit resizing request
lifts that restriction, IIUC.

> Is this the behavior to be expected, that you can move a fullscreen frame
> around and resize it (so it is, in effect, no longer "full screen"?  To be
> clear, I don't care, a priori, either way; I'm just reporting what I see,
> in case it helps.

It depends on how you move and resize it.

>> Programmatically you should be able to move any frame.  It will become
>> demaximized/defullscreenified in the course, I presume.
>
> Whatever that last sentence might mean (in terms of effect; the English
> is clear).  The frame still has the same "full-screen" appearance (e.g.,
> no borders); it simply is not "full screen" (in a naive sense).

I have to admit that such behavior sounds strange.  Does it have a title
bar though?

> Note, BTW, that with MS Windows you cannot move or resize a maximized window.
> Dunno about "programmatically", but you cannot do so using the "System Menu",
> which is the way Windows users recuperate a stray window.  Menu items such
> as `Move' are disabled for a maximized frame.

I suppose the same rules hold for the system menu and mouse-dragging.
So if you can move or resize a maximized/fullscreen frame via the system
menu, the OS is not aware that your frame is maximized/fullscreen.

martin