Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 21:33:24 +0200

Giorgos Keramidas writes:
> So the unexist ranges *are* there.  But as you said the information
> seems to be lost somewhere between the time `.newsrc.eld' loads and the
> time Gnus queries the imap server for group state.

Yes, and I found the problem. I could not reproduce this initially
because it only exists in Emacs trunk, not in Gnus git. After I switched
to Emacs trunk, I saw the same thing.

It's actually really simple: The problem is `gnus-clean-old-newsrc',
where 'unexist' marks will be removed when you upgrade from an older
Gnus version, probably because the format has changed. However, in Emacs
trunk, `gnus-newsrc-file-version' is "Gnus v5.13", which is always
considered *smaller* than "Ma Gnus v0.03", so it will always remove the
marks:

    (when (or force
              (< (gnus-continuum-version gnus-newsrc-file-version)
                 (gnus-continuum-version "Ma Gnus v0.03")))
      ;; Remove old `exist' marks from old nnimap groups.

So this has to be changed or maybe completely removed. I'm not sure; I
guess it *could* happen that someone running Ma Gnus v0.02 upgrades to
Gnus from Emacs 24.4.

Katsumi? Lars? Anybody?

-David