Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 20:24:28 +0200

Giorgos Keramidas writes:
> The messages logged point to 'unexist' for all the groups:

[...]

> Does `unexist' mean that the group does not exist locally?

No. It means the 'unexist' range is missing, which makes Gnus think this
Group was never synced before.

> I see a few lines above that we check (and active uidvalidity unexist)
> but if 'unexist' means that the groups does not exist in
> `.newsrc.eld', then we are not reading the .newsrc.eld contents
> correctly.

The 'unexist' range contains article numbers which are no longer in the
group (because they were moved or deleted).

First, please make double sure that you are using at least Emacs trunk
rev. 113257, or the latest Gnus from git.

Then, to debug this further: If you hit 'G E' on a group, you see all
the group info with the different ranges. You should see 'unexist' there
somewhere, which can be empty or contain some article numbers or ranges.

When you exit Gnus, this information should be written to the file
newsrc.eld. Unfortunately, that file is barely human readable, but you
can restart Emacs and load it through

(load-file "~/.newsrc.eld")

and then look at the variable `gnus-newsrc-alist'. Do the groups still
have the 'unexist' ranges?

-David