Re: CommonLisp namespace system (was Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: CommonLisp namespace system (was Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp (better elisp?))
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:06:08 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, in practice I don't think there's any difficulty of using the
>> name to mean both things, just a small overlap during discussions.
>
> I guess I would have to agree with that.  It would proabably be workable.
>
> That said, it would be better to change the terminology for package.el -
> e.g., when we introduce CL-style "packages".

Sadly, no one is offering to do that.

I am offering to do something based on what I proposed. I can see how
that can be implemented.

I am explicitly not offering to implement the CommonLisp name spacing
system in Emacs.

I can promise that I won't needlessly differ from it. Where I do differ
from it there will be a good reason.

Of course, I would be very happy if you, or someone else, built a proper
CommonLisp namespacing system in Emacs. Then I wouldn't even have to
implement my lesser proposal.

Nic