Re: managing windows in two frames

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: managing windows in two frames
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 08:29:55 -0500

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Your approach is two-frames-centric - people might
>>> use three frames or more.
>>
>> Yes, more frames requires more a intelligent filter, or a more
>> interactive choice of frame (ie prompting with a list).
>>
>> But you said my current code is "overly restrictive"; here you are
>> proposing adding (user-specified) restrictions, not relaxing them.
>
> I meant it's restrictive by paying attention only to the first frame of
> what `filtered-frame-list' returns.

Yes. If it returns more, prompting the user with a list of frames to
choose from would be reasonable.

Which immediately runs into the issue of what frame & window to use for
the buffer containing that list.

Since the user has not yet indicated the final frame, one choice is
using the first frame returned by `filtered-frame-list' for the prompt
buffer, as long as that frame is returned to its original state when the
prompt is completed. That could be done by an additional `dont-prompt'
parameter to the display-buffer action.

Another choice is the minibuffer, using completing-read. But that's not
very friendly, since it's hard to see the entire list of available
frames.

--
-- Stephe